Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Afternoon snack - Homemade Baklava

Baklava is the perfect afternoon snack pick me up, it's sticky sweet jam packed with pistachio nuts. Bite sized crispy, crunchy, sweet and protein filled what more can we ask for. I made these myself, I was channelling my inner Greek self.


I had phyllo pastry, Mediterranean Delicacies, in the freezer and decided it was time to put it to good use. For these baklava I used a Nigella Lawson recipe, which you can see here. Honestly, the recipe is straight forward but working with phyllo pastry requires planning, being organised and having nimble hands. I have to admit that I consulted twitter to find out whether I pour hot syrup or cold syrup over the Baklava. I was told col, cold, COLD! This is the end result! 
Next time I plan to try Baklava with a South African twist and I think Alida's Baklava with Pistachios & Fynbos Honey recipe would be perfect. 






No comments:

Post a Comment